Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Spotted Dick, Pearl Necklaces and No Regrets

We all have those pleasures, those things we learn to appreciate when they occur, but love them all the more for the missing.  As a friend and I went home for Fall Break, I was once again given the joy of eating food, real food as I know it.  Minestrone, Bourbon Chicken, White Chocolate-Apricot Scones, an adventure making Latkes, Almond-Date Scones, Colonial Bread, Molasses Cookies, Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookes, Homemade Chocolate Layer Cake, Pancakes, Blueberry-Pumpkin Pancakes, all of the food that we could fit into 4 days - and I regret it none.  Moreover, the family bonds that I cherish so dearly, are only strengthened as I remember how much time we spend uniting in our kitchen.  "Sneaking" raw cookie dough before my mother discovers the family thieving, late night coffee and tea tastings, recipe experiments, dueling matches with recyclable materials, all the things that make my family a cohesive unit (with a little sarcasm and commentary thrown to add a little flavor).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment