Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Do you like weed(s)?

The entire concept of hunting, gathering and foraging as Pollan discussed extensively in the final section of The Omnivore's Dilemma: Personal - The Forest, is alluring in daily life.  But as this article does give practical tips for those wanting to implement such into daily routine, it also references this as a trend that has been picked-up by restaurants and chefs.  This struck a chord.  For all the pride and contentment I would have by serving a meal to my family that included a dandelion salad and berries from plants near my residence, I must say I would most likely feel rather indignant to go to an upscale restaurant and be served weeds.   This mentality that foraging for food is acceptable when it makes me a "model citizen" but is unacceptable when I am anticipating a "gourmet" dinner is a little unsettling, and I am not yet sure what it means as far as our connection to food in a real sense, rather than just a sense that placates our conscience for a few moments.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120308153539.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment